Wednesday, April 6, 2022

Figurehead by Carly Holmes - A beautifully written walk down a very disturbing path

 


I've been on the lookout for a scary book for a while and I was hoping this would be it unfortunately the stories are more disturbing than they are scary. And that's not a bad thing in the least I just definitely wasn't prepared for a walk down humanity's darker side. 


The thing that stood out for me the most with this collection is Holme's writing style, honestly, everything was written so beautifully that it would never even cross your mind that something horrible was going to happen that the end. And she does such an amazing job of building up the tension in every story, but I found that Sleep demonstrated this the best out of all of them. It just builds like you are climbing up a steep hill and you don't know that at the end is a drop-off and when you finally get there you just barely keep yourself from falling off the edge. That being said Sleep is not my favorite, The Demon L was, it's the first one in the book and I honestly kinda felt bad for L. 



Overall even though I wasn't scared out of my wits I still enjoyed this book, especially since it was made up of short stories, I could read a couple at a time and then come back to it a couple of days later. And with stories like Sleep, I needed that break. It's one of those things that as a parent it's in the top of five of your worst nightmares. 


I want to thank Netgalley and Parthian Books for the free eArc.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Dreadful Splendor by B.R. Myers

  Jenny Timmons has been surviving by being a con artist for as long as she can remember, "inheriting" her mother's once-thriv...