Friday, April 29, 2022

No Shadow without Light by Luke Gracias - If you liked The Da Vinci Code this book is for you!

 

Books with art are by far my favorites, books with pictures of actual real-life places that allow the reader to actually see the place the author is describing is now my second favorite thing thanks to this book!


After being chased throughout the world by the Red Monks who are hell-bent on getting the pages of the Devil's Prayer, twelve pages that can bring on the Apocolypse, returns home to Australia only to find herself in the middle of a conspiracy with the very destruction of the human race at its center. She has no one to turn to not even her beloved sister Jess, who more than anyone wants the Devil's Prayer. With no one to trust and people out to kill her, Siobahn goes on the run and she has to decide who she loves more; her mother who tasked her with literally saving humanity, or her sister whom she's loved more than any other person in the world. 


I'm going to get the complaints out right away. Some of the sentences in this were very short and choppy which made it kind of hard to get through, I don't believe I've ever wished for a run-on sentence until I read this. The dialogue was kinda hard to follow sometimes as well but I think that may have been the book's format not necessarily any fault of the author. One thing I did find though is that sometimes things were over described so you'd get to this really fast-paced, adrenaline-filled point and it would slow down and get luke-warm due to the long descriptions of things. It wasn't necessarily horrible but I would have liked to see more focus on the whole, "we are literally fighting the devil" thing instead of descriptions of the environment. 


That all being said as I said I really loved the inclusion of the photographs here, some of the places or the art are incredibly famous as is but it was so nice to have a picture of saying the Gold Coast to look at while reading. The story had a kind of Da Vinci Code vibe which I enjoyed because I loved the Da Vinci code, but I didn't really enjoy the second book in that series so I found myself enjoying this because it had that same vibe but was a different story if that makes sense.


I have to say my favorite part came early on in the book one of the characters discusses how religion has to change with the times and I found that a super important comment to make given the story the author was trying to tell. Because it's absolutely accurate as humanity's morals and values change religion really does have to stay with those changes. And while I'm not religious at all I found that I enjoyed that commentary as we do see religious leaders like the current Pope at least *trying* to do exactly that. (Totally not looking to get into a religious debate here) 


Overall, I really enjoyed the characters and the story itself and would highly recommend this to anyone who enjoyed the Da Vinci Code! Also, this is the sequel to another book, while I found the book filled in the gaps from the first one nicely and the author assured me it could be read as a stand-alone I would recommend reading The Devil's Prayer first. 


Thanks to Netgalley and Author's Upfront for the eArc of this book in exchange for this review. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

A Dreadful Splendor by B.R. Myers

  Jenny Timmons has been surviving by being a con artist for as long as she can remember, "inheriting" her mother's once-thriv...