Sunday, March 20, 2022

Bestiarium Groenlandica by Maria Bach Kreutzmann

 

I think this is the first book of creatures that I had not heard of one of them which was pretty cool. I have to say though they were all pretty dark and violent in comparison to other mythological creatures, which was kind of surprising. Although, I suppose it shouldn't have been considering how harsh the environment is in Greenland. 

In terms of the stories surrounding these creatures they were all incredibly unique, which again points to what a unique environment the people in Greenland live in and I'd say most of them are a direct reference to the environment including animals native to the area as well as weather conditions and of course the northern lights. I have to say my favorite story though was about the Greenland Shark, it apparently protects orphans in the folklore by feeding them when they are about to starve. 

My favorite part of this book had to be that they used multiple artists who are native to Greenland. To be honest, I don't really think that many people think of Greenland when they think of art, but I think after reading this more people will. Especially animation, I was really surprised to see that a lot of the artists in the book currently work in animation, and honestly, the more "cartoony" looking images in this were some of my favorites!

Overall I genuinely learned a lot from this relatively short book. Definitely recommend it for anyone into mythology/folklore!


Thanks to Edelweiss for the eArc of this book!


No comments:

Post a Comment

A Dreadful Splendor by B.R. Myers

  Jenny Timmons has been surviving by being a con artist for as long as she can remember, "inheriting" her mother's once-thriv...