Wednesday, May 4, 2022

A Grave Concern by Susanna Gregory - We finally find out what's under Tynkell's habit, Micheal gets his promotion, and Matilde Returns

 

Matthew, Micheal, and Sheriff Tuylet have once again saved Cambridge from a deranged killer that was just a little too close to home for their liking! And in a cliffhanger ending Matilde strolls into town like she didn't run away forcing Matt to go to war. 


Matthew looks up to see Tynkell of all people fighting a cloaked man on the roof of St. Mary the Great he and Micheal both rush inside to save their relatively useless Chancellor and unfortunately is too late. Chancellor Tynkell is dead and Micheal has to find his killer and arrange to have a new puppet installed all in a week as he has finally received the recognition he deserves and will be installed as Bishop. Tynkell isn't even in the ground before the next body pops up and as the run-up for the election heats up Cambridge is a pot ready to boil over. Our heroes are in a race against time against a ruthless killer whose endgame will unleash chaos on the University. 


Once again I was only able to figure out half of the intricate web of murder and mayhem Gregory wove. Her misdirection with the actual killer this time was brilliant and even though I have never liked the character that ended up being the murderer I was still shocked and felt as utterly betrayed as Micheal, Matt, and Tuylet. That being said I'll be glad to not see in him the series anymore. That is one thing you can rely on Gregory for, if you hate a character she'll probably end up killing them or turning them into a murderer at some point, you just have to wait. Speaking of which this book introduces a new Prof to Michaelhouse who is an absolute jerk unfortunately she writes him out alive by the end of the book. This guy is awful so I'm a tad bit disappointed he's not going to end up locked up or in the King's Ditch. 


And the reintroduction of Matilde, I'm just as nervous about this as Matthew is!! I completely understand why he's on the fence about rekindling their romance she just took off, for years!! Personally, I think Matt is way too good for her but that's just me. 


We also get a quick check-in with all of our favorite characters just to make sure they are okay. Yolande has a few more kiddos I think, and Insard the Bargeman makes the sweetest gesture for Michealhouse, honestly brought a tear to my eye. This is just one of the things that makes this series great at book twenty-two Gregory has recognized that the people in her world have become important to her readers and includes some reference to all of the characters in pretty much every book. And I honestly love her a bit for it. The characters that make up Matthew's world have very much become important to me, I'd cry like a baby if Yolande, Insard, or even Rougham died. Yeah, I know Rougham of all people, but he's really not too bad. This really makes the series complete for me. It's like walking through your own neighborhood every time you pick it up. The names and faces are as familiar to me as the ones that I see every day in my real life. Actually to be honest possibly more. 



Overall, another solid entry into the chaotic world of 14th century Cambridge. I've almost finished the series now so I suppose a re-read from the beginning will be in order soon.


P.S. We finally find out what Tynkell was hiding under his habit all these years and I tell you what never in 100 years would have guessed it!! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

A Dreadful Splendor by B.R. Myers

  Jenny Timmons has been surviving by being a con artist for as long as she can remember, "inheriting" her mother's once-thriv...