Wednesday, May 11, 2022

Akame Ga Kill by Takahiro - Here's hoping it's better than the anime!!

 

I originally watched this anime probably three years ago maybe four, it has been a while either way. And *ducks* I didn't like it. I think the anime started out solid but it ended up feeling rushed by the end. Someone at the time said to try the manga to see if I changed my mind. Obviously, since it's been so long it wasn't really a priority for me but my local library had the first six so I figured I'd finally read it. I've only read the first volume so I can't speak to whether it's better than the anime yet but I can say I am absolutely in love with the art in this. And the first volume reminds me of why I stuck it out through the anime, to begin with. A corrupt government, a group of rebels determined to take the government down, and some amazingly unique weaponry makes this such an enticing story!


Tatsumi, Sayo, and Ieyasu leave their village to head to the capital in order to earn their fortune and save their village from starvation. Along the way, the three of them are separated and Tatsumi goes it alone certain he'll run into his friends in the Capital. But the reality of the Capital is harsh and Tatsumi quickly learns that lesson. He is denied enlistment into the military and is then robbed of all of his money on his very first day there. With no money for an Inn, he decides to sleep on the street that night when like divine intervention Aria a young noble girl arrives and offers to allow Tatsumi to stay in her mansion, even though nothing has gone right the minute he stepped foot in the Capital Tatsumi agrees to go with her. From the guards at Aria's mansion, Tatsumi learns of Night Raid, a group of deadly assassins who target the rich seemingly to steal their wealth. That very evening the Night Raid attacks the mansion and Tatsumi risks his life to defend Aria from this group of villains. Only not everything is as it seems and Tatsumi will learn that some wolves come in sheep's clothing. 


The art in this is just really spectacular. It is so crisp, the opening image of Night Raid in this is absolutely gorgeous! But in this what really stands out is the array of weaponry the Night Raid uses from a giant pair of scissors to a sort of futuristic samurai exo-skeleton each member of Night Raid has a unique weapon that fits their personalities to a T. 


The story is yeah maybe a little cliche but it's the evilness of the nobility in this that really gets you. Especially what we learn about Aria's family's deadly secret. The nobles and the government aren't just corrupt they sick and twisted murdering bastards. And each member of Night Raid has a personal back story as to why they are dedicated to taking down the powers that be. 


Overall, definitely, a solid start and I'm hoping that the manga doesn't leave me feeling wanting as the anime did. An easy five stars for this first volume. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

A Dreadful Splendor by B.R. Myers

  Jenny Timmons has been surviving by being a con artist for as long as she can remember, "inheriting" her mother's once-thriv...