Monday, January 24, 2022

Lost Worlds and Mythological Kingdoms Edited by John Joseph Adams: A Perfect Gift for the Sci-Fi fan in your life!

 


First of all, I'd like to thank Netgalley and the people at Grim Oak Press for access to this eARC as I now know what I'm getting my husband for his birthday!


Full Disclosure: this book was not my cup of tea. I'm not a big fan of sci-fi period but especially hollow earth (I detest hollow earth like I'm offended by it) and dystopian futures are at the top of my list of niche genres I normally would never read. To be honest given the title of the book and the cover I really thought this was going to lean more towards fantasy, so while I was a tad bit disappointed for myself, as I said in the title this is the exact type of book my husband would love, so that takes care of his birthday present! And even though I'm not a fan I found myself being sucked into many of the stories contained in this book. Surprisingly one of the stories that stood out the most for me was one that features Hollow Earth. And that's what makes this collection of stories worth the read, they are exceptionally well written. I found most of the stories to be unique and more than a few of them to be downright creepy. I also have to admit that there is at least one I'd like to see a full-length book come from it. 

So while I still am never going to purchase this book for myself and I don't like dystopian futures, hollow earths, or gates to other worlds/dimensions any more than I did before I read this I still have to say that overall it was a good book. 


P.S. Please enjoy this Godzilla gif, I tried to find some cheesy '50's Hollow Earth GIF, but I found this under the title of "Godzilla Blow a Hole to Hollow Earth" and as Godzilla is my Lord and Savior I figured it was fate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Dreadful Splendor by B.R. Myers

  Jenny Timmons has been surviving by being a con artist for as long as she can remember, "inheriting" her mother's once-thriv...