Thursday, March 24, 2022

Death on Gokumon Island by Yokomizo Seishi, Translated by Louise Heal Kawai

 This one doesn't actually have any cover art yet so no picture right now, I'll add it as soon it's available though!


Detective Hindaichi has just returned from the war and has been tasked with keeping his fellow soldier's sisters alive. He only has one clue and that is that the girls' fate rests on their cousin. But as the girls start dying with their cousin still far-away in Burma Kindaichi realizes he may have met his match in this murderer. 


Yokomizo is the master at writing about messed-up families. Every Kindaichi book I've read makes me kind of grateful I'm broke and thus there will be no motivation for anyone to kill me or my heirs to kill each other or for me to kill my heirs for that matter! 😅


I found this one to be a little slower-paced than the others and kind of anticlimactic but I think that's the feeling he was going for because when you find out why the murders took place it's incredibly sad, especially since Kindaichi was tasked with preventing them. 


The murders themselves were on the same level of complexity that I've now come to expect from this series which makes it so difficult to figure out who the actual murderer is. And this one really threw me for a loop. I understood the significance of some of the clues but where they actually lead was totally unexpected!


Overall another fantastic addition to this wonderful series and I want to thank Edelweiss and Penguin Random House for the eArc for this!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Dreadful Splendor by B.R. Myers

  Jenny Timmons has been surviving by being a con artist for as long as she can remember, "inheriting" her mother's once-thriv...