Wednesday, March 23, 2022

The Bruising of Qilwa by Naseem Jamnia


 

This is kind of a tough review to write because I don't believe that it is necessarily a failing of the book itself that it just didn't come across well but that being a novella limited the detail the author could go into. I honestly believe this has serious potential to be fleshed out into a full novel but in this format, I don't believe the author was able to bring the world they had created to live in a manner that would do it justice. I would really like to see this actually in a full novel form because it's got the makings of a really amazing world with some really important things to say in terms of xenophobia. 

As the parent of a transgender kiddo, I did really appreciate the struggle the main character and her little brother were going through with his reassignment. My family lives in an area where we are just getting a doctor that deals with minors, my son came out when he was 14, he's 18 now. It's very hard to express to people the failing you feel as a parent that you can't get your child the medical attention they need. It's heartbreaking for everyone involved and I completely understand the struggle that ensued between the two of them. 

Overall I think that the potential that exists within the book is worth the read and to be honest, the author's afterward alone is worth the reading it just to get to understand why the book exists in the first place, it was quite interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Dreadful Splendor by B.R. Myers

  Jenny Timmons has been surviving by being a con artist for as long as she can remember, "inheriting" her mother's once-thriv...